WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – Saint Joseph's College (9-2) toppled Worcester State University (3-7), 20-3, in RussMatt Central Florida Invitational action at Chain of Lakes Stadium on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph's scored at least one run in each of the first six innings, including the top of the fifth when the Monks capitalized on two Worcester State errors en route to scoring nine runs on seven hits. St. Joe's closed the scoring ledger with five runs off five knocks, including a grand slam off the bat of freshman outfielder Ben Gravel (Rochester, N.H.). in the top of the sixth.
ON THE MOUND:
The Monks received a solid start from junior Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.), who improved to 2-0 on the season after yielding three runs on seven hits with two strikeouts over five innings. Relievers Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.), Simon Gonzalez, and Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) combined to toss four shutout frames while scattering four hits with three punch-outs.
Worcester State starter Luke Brennan fell to 1-2 on the year after surrendering 10 runs (nine earned) off six hits and eight walks with three K's over four innings. Bradleigh Saltsman gave up eight runs (four earned) off seven hits in 1.1 innings and Owen Gibbons, who allowed the Gravel slam, tossed 1.2 frames of two-run, three-hit relief. Seth Allen stopped the bleeding with two innings of one-hit ball.
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Senior first baseman Brett Barbati (Melrose, Mass.) was 2-3 with two runs, a double, and three RBI
- Sophomore center fielder Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) enjoyed a fine day, going 3-4 with three runs, a double, and an RBI
- Senior shortstop Max McCoomb (South Berwick, Maine) went 2-3 with a run, a double, and three RBI
- Sophomore left fielder Noah McDaniel (Eliot, Maine) added three runs and two hits in three trips to the plate
- Sophomore second baseman Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) went 2-2 with two runs and a pair of walks
- Gonzalez also contributed two hits, a run scored, and a double in two at-bats
- For Gravel, the grand slam was the first hit of his collegiate career
OFF THE BAT – WORCESTER STATE:
- First baseman Ben Palatino went 2-5 with a run, a double, and an RBI
- Third baseman Seth Leslie was 2-2 with a run and a double
- Second baseman Kenan Kolanda added two hits in five trips to the batter's box
With the victory, Saint Joseph's improves to 3-1 in the history of the series with Worcester State University and has now defeated the Lancers in three-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2010 season. All three of the previous meetings between these two programs took place in the NCAA DIII New England Regional Tournament.
Saint Joseph's concludes the southern swing with a 10:00 AM contest versus Benedictine University (IL). The game will be played at Lake Myrtle #4 in Auburndale.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.