AUBURNDALE, Fla. – Saint Joseph's College (10-2) capped play in the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational with a mercy-rule 14-4 victory over Benedictine University (IL) (7-6) at Lake Myrtle Field #4 on Sunday morning.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
With the game tied 2-2 in the fifth inning, Saint Joseph's went on to score 12 runs in their next three turns, with five in the bottom of the fifth, two in the sixth, and five in the seventh, to more than offset a two-run homer by Benedictine in the top of the fifth and account for the 14-4 final.
ON THE MOUND:
Saint Joseph's junior starter Travis Godbout (Portland, Maine) improved to 3-1 on the season after allowing four runs (two earned) off five hits and two walks with four strikeouts in 4.2 innings. Junior southpaw Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) completed the game with 2.1 innings of scoreless relief, yielding two hits and a walk with a punch-out.
Benedictine starter Ryan Miller falls to 0-2 on the year after giving up seven runs off 10 hits and a walk with two K's in 3.1 innings. Drake Berman allowed two runs off three hits and a hit batsman in 1.2 innings and Chad DeGroot yielded five runs off four hits and two walks in one frame of relief.
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Senior designated hitter Jameson Collins (Sandown, N.H.) went 3-4 with a run, two doubles, a triple, and an RBI
- Senior first baseman Brett Barbati (Melrose, Mass.), who entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the fifth, was 2-2 with four RBI
- Junior center fielder Chris Gerossie (Chester, N.H.) added two doubles, three runs, an RBI and a walk in four plate appearances
- Junior catcher Jacob White (Salem, N.H.) went 2-3 with two runs, an RBI, and a stolen base
- Senior shortstop Max McCoomb (South Berwick, Maine) was 2-3 with two runs and an RBI
- Sophomore Noah McDaniel (Eliot, Maine) went 2-4 with two runs and a pair of RBI
- Senior right fielder Dennis Meehan (Gardiner, Maine) was 2-3 with a run and a double
- Senior third baseman Taylor Black (Cardiff by the Sea, Calif.) was 1-3 with a run, a double, and two RBI
OFF THE BAT – BENEDICTINE:
- Third baseman Sam Kerr was 2-4 with a run and a triple
- First baseman Tanner Kiser launched a two-run homer in the sixth inning
Saint Joseph's has scored 140 runs this season, the highest total through 12 games in program history…the Monks are hitting .399 (158-396) with a .568 slugging percentage and a .486 OBP thus far this season.
Field conditions permitting, Saint Joseph's will host Gordon College this Wednesday at 3:30 PM.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.