WATERVILLE, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (12-2) rallied past Colby College (3-11), 5-3, in non-conference baseball action on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Colby grabbed the lead early, as the hosts scored a run off three hits in the bottom of the first and tacked on two more off three hits and a walk in their second turn. The Monks' pitching staff proceeded to settle in, as four hurlers combined to close out the contest with seven scoreless innings.
The stellar pitching effort allowed for the SJC bats to come to life, as the visitors made it a 3-2 game with two runs off two hits in the top of the sixth and went on to take the lead with two out in the seventh, when senior shortstop Max McCoomb (South Berwick, Maine) tripled home a pair and later scored on a Taylor Black (Cardiff by the Sea, Calif.) base hit.
ON THE MOUND – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Sophomore starter Grayson Jennings (Mililani, Hawaii) allowed three runs off seven hits and a walk with three strikeouts in three innings
- Junior Travis Godbout (Portland, Maine) improved to 3-1 on the season after tossing three shutout frames with a pair of K's and one hit allowed
- Junior Marc Poirier (Lunenburg, Mass.) fanned one and gave up one hit in an otherwise clean inning of relief
- Junior southpaw Josh Partridge (Deerfield, N.H.) earned his second save of the year after striking out four while allowing a hit and a walk in two innings of work
ON THE MOUND – COLBY:
- Starter Taimu Ito did not factor into the decision after tossing five two-hit innings with a pair of walks and three punch-outs
- Will Phillips surrendered two unearned runs off two hits in one inning of relief
- Will Cohen fell to 1-2 on the year after allowing three runs off three hits in 2/3 inning of work
- Jackson Ward struck out two and allowed a hit in 2.1 innings
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Sophomore second baseman Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) was 3-4 with a pair of runs and a walk
- McCoomb went 2-3 with two runs, a triple, and two RBI
- Sophomore center fielder Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) was 1-3 with a run, a walk, and a stolen base
OFF THE BAT – COLBY:
- Right fielder Matt Treveloni went 3-5 with a run
- Shortstop Tyler Mulberry was 2-3 with a walk and an RBI
- Center fielder Ryder Arsenault added two hits and an RBI in five at bats
With the triumph, Saint Joseph's improves to 20-12 in the history of the series with Colby College and has now defeated the Mules in four-consecutive meetings. Dating back to the 2003, the Monks are 12-1 versus Colby.
Saint Joseph's will host Lasell College in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) doubleheader on Saturday. The first game is scheduled to begin at 2:00 PM.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.