STANDISH, Maine – Saint Joseph's College (5-5) rallied from a seven-point halftime deficit to defeat Bowdoin College (6-4), 91-88, in overtime in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Harold Alfond Center on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
In a contest featuring 12 lead changes and 11 tie scores, the Monks ended regulation with seven-consecutive points, including a three-pointer with 12 seconds left by sophomore Darian Berry (Rochester, N.H.), to knot the game at 75 apiece and force extra play.
In overtime, Saint Joseph's held the lead for all but a pair of Bowdoin possessions as the Monks put the game away with an Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) put-back and a pair of Quinn Richardson-Newton (Saco, Maine) free throws in the closing 15 seconds.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Berry led five SJC players in double-digits with 21 points after going 7-16 from the field and 5-5 from the FT line
- Sophomore forward Marc Corey (Londonderry, N.H.) added 16 points and six rebounds while shooting 4-6 from three-point distance
- Richardson-Newton contributed 15 points and seven boards
- Senior guard John Crawley (Fitchburg, Mass.) came off the bench to net 11 points with four rebounds in 14 minutes
- Hall was 5-7 from the floor with 10 points and seven rebounds
LEADERS – BOWDOIN:
- Sophomore forward Jack Simonds (Falmouth, Maine) netted a game-high 35 points with shooting performances of 14-26 from the floor and 4-9 from beyond the arc
- Freshman swingman David Reynolds (Raleigh, N.C.) was 5-6 from downtown with 17 points
- Sophomore forward Hugh O'Neil (Lexington, Mass.) chipped in with 12 points and nine caroms
Tonight's victory over Bowdoin was the Monks' first since SJC topped the Polar Bears by an 82-62 margin on November 20th, 2012…the win also snaps a three-game losing streak versus Bowdoin…St. Joe's held a 16-2 lead in second-chance points in the victory…prior to this evening, Saint Joseph's had not scored 90 points in a game since the Royal Blue defeated Rivier University, 97-68, on February 4th, 2015.
Saint Joseph's is back in action Wednesday when the Monks play host to conference-rival Anna Maria College in a 5:30 PM start. Bowdoin plays at Bridgewater State University at 6:00 PM on January 3rd.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.