STANDISH, Maine – Mount Ida College (11-5, 7-2 GNAC) defeated Saint Joseph's College (7-8, 4-4 GNAC), 72-61, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Monday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Saint Joseph's controlled the pace early and held a 17-7 lead after freshman Ryan Lavallee (Carver, Mass.) netted a three-pointer with 14:04 left in the first half. Mount Ida countered with a 16-5 run, which junior John Oliver (North Babylon, N.Y.) capped with a traditional three-point play to provide the Mustangs with their first lead, 23-22, five minutes later.
St. Joe's managed to regain the advantage, albeit briefly, when junior forward Aaron Hall (Haverhill, Mass.) converted a layup at the 8:53 mark, but the Monks went 0-6 from the floor with five turnovers over the following eight minutes, a span during which the Mustangs scored 10 unanswered points en route to holding a 33-26 halftime lead.
The Monks cut the deficit to three points (39-36) with a 10-6 scoring burst early in the second stanza, but Mount Ida all but clinched the victory with an 11-1 run, which spanned seven minutes and was capped by a Joey DeFillippi (Bristol, Conn.) layup with the visitors on top, 50-37, with 9:29 remaining.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Sophomore guard Ian Mileikis (Auburn, Maine) scored 15 points with six assists, four rebounds, and three steals
- Junior forward Quinn Richardson-Newton (Saco, Maine) tallied 13 points, nine boards, and three assists
- Hall chipped in with eight points, six rebounds, and four blocked shots
- Senior guard John Crawley (Fitchburg, Mass.) added six points and five rebounds off the bench
LEADERS – MOUNT IDA:
- DeFillippi paced the Mustangs with 14 points and was 6-6 from the FT line
- Junior guard Jayson Clark (Austin, Texas) tallied 11 points, five steals, five rebounds, and four assists
- Senior guard Ethan Dujon (Warwick, R.I.) contributed 10 points and three caroms
- Junior forward Kevin Conner (Mansfield, Mass.) added nine points and three rebounds
Saint Joseph's plays at Rivier University Wednesday at 7:00 PM while Mount Ida returns to action Saturday with a 3:00 PM contest at Suffolk University.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.