DAVENPORT, Fla. – Wentworth Institute (2-0) held off Saint Joseph's College (1-3), 10-13, in a non-conference men's lacrosse contest on Thursday afterno
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Wentworth built a 5-2 lead in the first quarter only to see the cushion dwindle to one goal after Saint Joseph's seniors Brendan Barrett (East Sandwich, Mass.) and Matt Donnell (Watertown, Mass.) both hit pay dirt in the closing two minutes.
Junior Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) continued the momentum for the Monks with his second of six goals on the afternoon with a strike off a Barrett pass, knotting the game at 5-5 one minute and 20 seconds into the second stanza.
The tide turned however, as the Leopards rattled off a 9-1 scoring run for the remainder of the second frame and all of the third en route to claiming a 14-6 advantage with 15 minutes left to play.
Trailing 17-8 with 4:56 remaining, the Monks made a final push with five unanswered goals, including four man-down tallies, in a matter of two minutes to cut the deficit down to 17-13, but Wentworth managed to net the final two goals of the day in the last minute of play to account for the 19-13 final.
The Monks broke the program's record for most goals scored in a setback in today's contest, breaking the previous mark set in a 15-12 loss at the hands of Husson University on March 30th, 2009.
With his goal scored at the 13:40 mark of the second period, Finn became the fifth player in SJC men's lacrosse history to reach the 100-point plateau. He joins Jonathan Horgan '12 (178), Paul Dolewa '12 (155), Spencer Hunt (136), and former teammate Jake O'Brien '16 (112) on the short list.
Finn now has 85 goals and 20 assists for 105 points in just 35 career contests.
Junior Connor Trainor (Franklin, Mass.) took the loss after allowing 14 goals with six saves in 45 minutes while junior Wyatt Porter (Pittsfield, Mass.) made four saves and allowed five goals in 15 minutes of play.
For Wentworth, Scott Boucher and Adam Dufault split time in the cage and made eight and 13 saves, respectively.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Finn netted six goals with one assist and three ground balls
- Barrett added two goals and an assist
- Freshman Cody Sevigny (Biddeford, Maine) netted a pair of goals
- Senior Liam Skinner (Irving, Texas) picked up five ground balls and had a pair of caused turnovers
- Sophomore face-off midi Shane Fors (Kalamazoo, Mich.) won 12 of 29 face-off attempts
LEADERS – WENTWORTH:
- Kyle Doner netted six goals with three assists
- Jacob Eldred added five goals and three assists
- Ben Coakley scored three goals with three helpers
- Dolan McCarthy chipped in with two goals and three assists with five ground balls
- Sean Brennan collected a game-high seven ground balls
- Peter Andersson won 15 of 20 face-off attempts
Saint Joseph's heads back north after today's contest and resumes play Wednesday with a 5:00 PM non-conference game at Maine Maritime Academy.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.