NASHUA, N.H. – Saint Joseph's College (11-2, 5-0 GNAC) toppled Rivier University (6-7, 3-3 GNAC), 21-4, in Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's lacrosse action on Saturday afternoon.
The Monks opened the game with four unanswered goals – with senior Mary Leasure (South Portland, Maine/McAuley) assisting on each – but the Raiders fought back with four of the following six strikes to make it a 6-4 game with 5:21 left in the first half. Saint Joseph's rounded out the opening frame with a five-goal string en route to owning an 11-4 cushion heading into intermission.
St. Joe's dominated the stat sheet in the second stanza with 10 consecutive tallies while outshooting the hosts by a 17-6 margin.
Saint Joseph's senior goalie Michelle Cunha (Enfield, Conn.) made nine saves over 60 minutes while Rivier keeper Courtney Laperriere (Keene, N.H.) posted six stops in a losing effort.
- Sophomore Elyse Caiazzo (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) registered four goals, three assists, and three draw controls
- Leasure capped the afternoon with two goals and six assists
- Junior Jackie Wilson (Tiverton, R.I.) produced three goals and six draw controls
- Junior Kelsey Dumond (Lewiston, Maine) netted four goals with an assist
- Senior Kat Gadbois (Scarborough, Maine) posted a hat trick with three draw controls
- Amanda Wickens (Tyngsboro, Mass.) netted a pair of goals with three ground balls and three draw controls
- Paxton LaRocque (Londonderry, N.H.) and Bethany Scott (Tewksbury, Mass.) chipped in with a goal apiece
With the victory, Saint Joseph's improves to 6-2 all-time versus Rivier University, a team the Monks defeated twice last season by similar scores (21-7, 21-5).
Saint Joseph's will host GNAC-rival Emmanuel College at 8:00 PM on Tuesday while Rivier returns to action with a non-conference game at Colby Sawyer College on Wednesday (5:00 PM).