STANDISH, Maine – Colby College (2-5) defeated Saint Joseph's College (5-7), 3-0 (25-17, 25-21, 25-23) in non-conference women's volleyball action at the Harold Alfond Center on Tuesday evening.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Monks suffered an eight-point setback in the first set, but remained in the hunt for the duration in the second and third frames, which featured 20 ties and five lead changes in the two sets combined. Trailing 22-18 late in the third, Saint Joseph's pulled off a 5-1 run to knot the set at 23-23, but an SJC error and a kill by Colby sophomore Nicole Petherbridge (Tewksbury, Mass.) provided the visiting Mules with the victory.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Freshman Erin Olson (Stoughton, Mass.) notched five kills and three block solos
- Senior Jordynne Copp (Cumberland, Maine) posted five kills and a solo rejection
- Sophomore Kelsey Bickford (Somersworth, N.H.) registered six kills
- Junior Sarah Dyer (Seabrook, N.H.) added a match-high 17 assists and six digs
- Junior Jennelle Thompson (Farmington, N.H.) contributed a match-best 15 digs
- Freshman Sophia Randall (Epping, N.H.) chipped in with two kills and 11 digs
LEADERS – COLBY:
- Junior Paige Hanssen (Earlysville, Va.) recorded a double-double with 15 kills and 14 digs along with a pair of block solos
- Petherbridge added nine kills
- Sophomore Mae Safransky (Mystic, Conn.) tallied 10 assists and seven digs
- Senior Emily Moslener (Leonardtown, Md.) posted 16 assists
- Junior Erin Maidman (Ventura, Calif.) contributed 13 digs
Colby held advantages in kills (37-23), attack percentage (.153 - .029), assists (35-22), aces (5-2), and digs (54-48) in the victory.
With the loss, Saint Joseph's falls to 12-28 versus Colby College (since 1989). The Monks last defeated the Mules on September 8th, 2015 with a 3-1 result at the Alfond Center.
Saint Joseph's resumes play Saturday with a pair of games at Lasell College. The Monks face the Lasers in a conference clash at 11:00 AM and take on Mitchell College at 1:00 PM.
Saint Joseph's College is Maine's only Catholic liberal arts college, providing a supportive, personalized and career-focused education for more than 100 years. From its 474-acre campus on the shores of Sebago Lake, the College offers more than 40 undergraduate programs to a population of approximately 1,000 students. Saint Joseph's College Online provides certificates, undergraduate and advanced degrees for working adults through an online learning program. For more, visit www.sjcme.edu.