BEVERLY, Mass. – Endicott College (14-9) topped Saint Joseph's College (20-7), 3-1, in a non-conference baseball contest on Tuesday afternoon. The loss brings an end to the Monks' seven-game winning streak.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Endicott got on the board right away, as freshman shortstop Benjamin Schena (Cheshire, Conn.) worked an 11-pitch at-bat into a leadoff walk and later scored on a sacrifice fly off the bat of sophomore first baseman Kyle Brennan (Wallingford, Conn.).
The 1-0 score remained until the bottom of the sixth, when the Gulls plated a pair of runs off three hits. Brennan opened the inning with an infield single and later scored on an infield groundout and designated hitter Jordan Carvalho (Rehoboth, Mass.) singled and eventually crossed the plate on a Ryan Prosser (Holden, Mass.) two-out base hit.
The Monks finally found the scoreboard in the top of the seventh, when senior shortstop Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) led off with a single, stole second, and scored on a Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) base knock through the right side.
ON THE MOUND – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Senior starter Grayson Jennings (Mililani, Hawaii) falls to 2-1 on the season after allowing three runs off seven hits while fanning three batters over six frames
- Junior Troy Bogdahn (Hollis, Maine) tossed 1.1 scoreless innings of relief with one hit allowed and a punchout
- Junior Weston Bergeron (Lyman, Maine) struck out one in 0.2 innings of work
ON THE MOUND – ENDICOTT:
- Junior starter Joseph Oriola (Pembroke, Mass.) improves to 3-1 this spring after scattering three hits with eight K's over six shutout innings
- Junior Alexander Mandrus (Acton, Mass.) allowed a run off two hits in an inning or work
- Senior closer Will Bryant (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) picked up his third save of the season after giving up one hit with four punchouts over two scoreless frames
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Murphy was 3-4 with a run and a stolen base
- Gagne went 2-3 with a triple and an RBI
OFF THE BAT – ENDICOTT:
- Carvalho was 3-4 with a run and a double
- Prosser produced two hits and an RBI in three at-bats
With the loss, Saint Joseph's falls to 16-8 in the history of the series with Endicott College.
Saint Joseph's is scheduled to host #3 University of Southern Maine on Thursday at 4:00 PM.