NASHUA, N.H. – Saint Joseph's College (24-8, 10-2 GNAC) posted a pair of convincing victories over Rivier University (7-25, 1-11 GNAC) in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) baseball doubleheader at Holman Stadium on Sunday afternoon. The Monks defeated the Raiders by a 7-3 score in the opener and completed the sweep with a 21-3 nightcap victory.
SAINT JOSEPH'S 7, RIVIER 3
ON THE MOUND:
SJC freshman starter Alex D'Angelo (Peabody, Mass.) improves to 2-0 on the season after allowing a run off seven hits with three K's in five innings. Sophomore Jake Sickel (Hampton, N.H.), making his collegiate debut, struck out one in a perfect inning of relief, junior Jonathan Rolfe (Plainville, Mass.) gave up two runs on four hits with a pair of strikeouts in 0.2 innings and sophomore Jonathan Marchia (Chicopee, Mass.) earned his fifth save after fanning the only batter he faced in the bottom of the seventh.
Rivier senior starter Kyle Flanagan (Bradford, Mass.) falls to 1-5 this spring after yielding seven runs off 11 hits and two walks with four K's in 4.1 innings.
OFF THE BAT:
- Senior right fielder Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) went 2-3 with two runs, two doubles, and two RBI
- Junior second baseman Drew Healey (Rochester, N.H.) was 2-3 with two runs, a stolen base, and an RBI
- Sophomore center fielder Hunter Richardson (Monmouth, Maine) went 2-4 with two runs, two steals, and an RBI
- For the Raiders, Eric Maxfield (Lowell, Mass.), Corey Cochran (Salem, N.H.), and Frederick Kazalski (Dracut, Mass.) all went 2-4 in the setback
SAINT JOSEPH'S 21, RIVIER 3
ON THE MOUND:
Sophomore Kristian Harris (Salem, N.H.) picks up the win and is now 2-0 after tossing four shutout innings while giving up four hits with a pair of strikeouts. Junior Zach Ham (Saco, Maine) worked two innings of one-hit relief and freshman Nick Iannuzzi (Peabody, Mass.) allowed three runs off four hits in the seventh frame.
Rivier starter White did not get out of the first inning and falls to 0-5 on the season after giving up nine runs (one earned) off three hits and two walks in 0.2 innings.
OFF THE BAT:
- Senior Greg Emanuelson (Hudson, N.H.) was 2-3 with two runs, a home run, and three RBI
- Gagne was 2-2 with two runs and RBI
- Sophomore right fielder Dylan Fournier (South Windsor, Conn.) was 1-3 with two runs and two RBI
- Senior shortstop Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) went 1-2 with two runs
- For Rivier, Kazalski was 3-4 with two RBI while Cochran and Tyler Jackson (Hyde Park, Mass.) posted two hits apiece
With the sweep Saint Joseph's improves to 28-1 all-time versus Rivier University and has now defeated the Raiders in 23-consecutive meetings.
Saint Joseph's will host Endicott College on Tuesday at 4:00 PM.