STANDISH, Maine – Senior outfielder Anthony DiPrizio (Rochester, N.H.) hit a grand slam as part of a seven-run seventh inning to help Saint Joseph's College (25-8) defeat Endicott College (18-10), 12-4, in a non-conference baseball contest at Larry Mahaney Diamond on Tuesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
With the game tied 1-1 in the bottom of the third, the Monks put four runs on the board off two hits and an Endicott error. Two runners crossed the plate on a misplayed ball in the infield and sophomore third baseman Luke Johnson (East Hampton, Conn.) knocked in a pair with a two-out single to lift the hosts to a 5-1 advantage.
The Gulls chipped away with a run in the fifth when freshman shortstop Benjamin Schena (Cheshire, Conn.) plated Christian Allaire (Sandown, N.H.) with a base hit and two runs in the top of the seventh, when junior John Duffy (Stratford, Conn.) notched an RBI triple and Allaire delivered a run with a groundout to short, making it a 5-4 game.
The Monks managed to put the contest well out of reach in the bottom of the seventh with seven runs off six hits. Senior right fielder Jared Gagne (Dover, N.H.) led off with a walk and stole second and third before scoring on a Greg Emanuelson (Hudson, N.H.) base hit. Junior second baseman Drew Healey (Rochester, N.H.) followed with a single to left and sophomore center fielder Hunter Richardson (Monmouth, Maine) was intentionally walked to load the bases and set up a double play situation. The plan backfired however, as DiPrizio belted his first home run of the season to clear the bases and extend the Monks' lead to 10-4.
Gagne, at the plate for the second time in the seventh frame, knocked in a pair with a triple to deep right field to account for the 12-4 final.
ON THE MOUND:
- SJC senior starter Grayson Jennings (Mililani, Hawaii) did not factor into the decision after allowing two runs (one earned) off six hits and a walk with three strikeouts over 4.2 innings
- Freshman George Welch (Derry, N.H.) gave up two runs on two hits with three K's in 1.2 innings of relief
- Freshman Matt Poff (Pelham, N.H.) improves to 2-1 on the season after allowing a hit with one strikeout in 1.2 frames of work
- Sophomore closer Jonathan Marchia (Chicopee, Mass.) fanned a pair in a perfect ninth inning
- Endicott junior starter Joseph Oriola (Pembroke, Mass.) allowed a run off one hit and three walks with three K's over two innings
- Victor Molle (Peabody, Mass.) took the loss and falls to 0-4 after yielding four runs (one earned) off two hits with two strikeouts in one inning
- Freshman Nicholas Borkowski (Southington, Conn.) tossed three innings of scoreless relief with a pair of K's
- Joseph Brown (Poultney, Vt.) and Will Bryant (Cumberland, Maine) combined to allow seven runs off five hits and two walks in just 1/3 inning
- Freshmen Justin Roberto (Danvers, Mass.) and Max Tarlin (Sharon, Mass.) combined to work 1.2 innings of scoreless, one-hit relief while fanning one apiece
OFF THE BAT – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- DiPrizio, who entered the game as a pinch-hitter in the sixth inning, was 2-2 with a grand slam
- Johnson went 2-2 with a run and a pair of RBI
- Gagne was 2-3 with two runs, a triple, three stolen bases, and two RBI
- Senior shortstop Joey Murphy (Derry, N.H.) went 2-5 with a run, a double, and an RBI
OFF THE BAT – ENDICOTT:
- Duffy went 2-4 with two runs, a triple, a stolen base, and an RBI
- Allaire was 2-3 with a run and a pair of RBI
- Senior left fielder Matt Bald (De Pere, Wisc.) was 2-4 with a stolen base
With the victory, Saint Joseph's improves to 17-8 in the history of the series with Endicott College. The Gulls defeated the Monks, 3-1, last Tuesday in Beverly, Massachusetts.
Saint Joseph's will host Nichols College on Friday at 12:00 PM.