STANDISH, Maine – University of New England (4-1) defeated Saint Joseph's College (0-2), 84-74, in a non-conference men's basketball game at the Harold Alfond Center on Wednesday evening. For the Monks, the contest versus their in-state rival was the 2019-20 home opener.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Nor'easters held a 43-41 edge heading into intermission and clung to a 48-46 lead early in the second stanza before rattling off a 15-3 run, which was capped by a Siddiq Canty (Dallas, Texas) three-pointer to extend the visitors' cushion to 63-49 with 14:28 remaining. The Monks answered with seven unanswered points, but ultimately were unable to overcome the UNE scoring outburst.
STATS OF THE GAME:
UNE scored 30 points off 24 SJC turnovers and held a 44-32 advantage in points in the paint…The Monks shot just 46.2% (6-13) from the FT line while the Nor'easters converted 80% (8-10) of their attempts from the charity stripe.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Sophomore guard Nicholas Curtis (Windham, Maine) went 8-for-13 from the floor with 22 points, three assists, and three rebounds
- Junior guard Jack Casale (Portland, Maine/Cheverus) notched a double-double with 15 points and 11 rebounds and registered seven assists
- Junior guard Tatsuaki Sakai (Ishikawa, Japan) chipped in with 12 points and was 5-for-6 from the field
- Sophomore Zac Manoogian (Westbrook, Maine) scored nine points with a pair of steals
- Sophomore David Keohan (West Newfield, Maine) added seven points and six boards
- Freshman Joseph Nuttall (Holden, Mass.) and sophomore Griffin Foley (Portland, Maine) came off the bench to contribute seven rebounds and seven points, respectively
LEADERS – UNE:
- Alex Kravchuk (Mansfield, Conn.) led the Nor'easters with 23 points and added seven rebounds, three assists, and two steals
- Canty netted 22 points with five caroms, four steals, and two assists
- Avery DeBrito (New Bedford, Mass.) recorded 17 points, seven boards, seven assists, and three steals
With the loss, Saint Joseph's falls to 68-10 all-time versus University of New England. For the Nor'easters, tonight's victory snaps a 41-game losing streak at the hands of the Monks and counts as the first win over St. Joe's since January 25th, 1989.
Saint Joseph's will host Husson University at 3:00 PM on Saturday.