In September 1999, the Saint Joseph’s College athletic department moved into the Harold Alfond Center, the Monks’ new $7.5 million, 50,000-square-foot facility. It includes four locker rooms, a training room, saunas, an equipment room, a trophy case, a rock wall, an elevated indoor track, a dance studio, a fitness and weight room, a six-lane swimming pool and a 12,000 square foot gymnasium. The second floor houses staff and coaching offices, the alumni lounge, classrooms, film storage, and staff lounge.
Harold Alfond, who passed away in the fall of 2007 after a courageous battle with cancer, was the leading benefactor for educational facilities in the State of Maine and his philanthropic legacy continues through the Harold Alfond Foundation. His gift towards construction of the Alfond Center is the largest endowment in Saint Joseph’s College history.
Aside from the obvious enhancements for the betterment of students and staff members alike, the construction of the Harold Alfond Center has enabled Saint Joseph’s Athletics to expand with the addition of four varsity sports - men’s and women’s swimming and men’s and women’s lacrosse.
HAROLD ALFOND CENTER QUICK FACTS
|12,000 square-foot gymnasium (seating capacity: 1200)
Six-lane 25 yard swimming pool
Cost: $7.5 million
Size: 50,000 square feet
Construction Completed: 1999
First Event: 9/11/1999 SJC Volleyball vs. Maine-Machias L, 0-3