STANDISH, Maine – Lasell College (12-1, 6-0 GNAC) defeated Saint Joseph's College (11-3, 5-1 GNAC), 12-5, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men's lacrosse matchup at the SJC Athletics Complex on Tuesday evening.
The loss brings to a close the Monks' 10-game winning streak, the longest string of victories in program history.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
The Lasers scored the game's first seven goals, as freshman attack James Anderson (Medway, Mass.) hit pay-dirt three times to help the visitors claim a 7-0 cushion with 10:50 remaining in the third quarter.
The Monks fought back into contention with four consecutive man-up tallies, as senior Michael Finn (Quincy, Mass.) and sophomore Tyler Brewster (Merrimack, N.H.) scored two goals apiece over the following five minutes to cut the SJC deficit down to 7-4 with 6:10 left in the penultimate quarter.
Unfortunately for the hosts, the momentum quickly turned back in Lasell's favor, as the Lasers rattled off four goals in a four-minute span during the end of the third and beginning of the fourth quarter.
With his goal at the 7:56 mark of the third quarter, senior Michael Finn became the first player in SJC men's lacrosse history to hit the 200-point plateau. In 64 career games, the four-year starter has scored 165 goals with 37 assists for 202 points. He is currently the Monks' all-time leader in goals, points, shots on goal (314), and man-up goals (36) and ranks second in shots (491) and eighth in ground balls (164).
Lasell freshman Alex Beauchemin (Westfield, Mass.) turned away 12 of the 17 shots he faced in the victory.
Lasell held the lead in shots on goal (21-17), turnovers (23-27), and ground balls (47-32) while St. Joe's posted advantages in shots (40-37) and face-off wins (15-6). The Lasers were 20-for-25 on clear attempts while the Monks went 9-for-17 on clear bids.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- Finn scored three goals on 11 shots with two ground balls
- Brewster added a pair of tallies
- Sophomore Shane Puleo (Nashua, N.H.) chipped in with two assists and a pair of ground balls
- Senior Dan Cunningham (West Islip, N.Y.) tallied two assists and four ground balls
- Junior Shane Fors (Ledyard, Conn.) was 15-for-21 on face-off attempts with five ground balls
LEADERS – LASELL:
- Sophomore Andrew Fidalgo (Wilbraham, Mass.) netted four goals with two assists and five ground balls
- Anderson scored four goals with an assist
- Senior Mike Susi (Gorham, Maine) contributed a goal, two assists, and three ground balls
- Senior David Sheehan (Tewksbury, Mass.) picked up nine ground balls with three caused turnovers
- Freshman Tyler Rose (Springfield, Mass.) added seven ground balls and two caused turnovers
- Junior Ben Werner (Boxford, Mass.) was 6-for-17 on face-off attempts with five ground balls
Saint Joseph's is now 0-9 all-time versus Lasell College.
Saint Joseph's will play at Albertus Magnus College on Saturday at 1:00 PM.