STANDISH, Maine – The Saint Joseph's College cross country teams opened the 2018 season with an Early Bird Meet on the SJC course on Saturday. Both of the Monks' squads placed second, as the women tallied 46 points and the men posted 44 points.
University of New England won both events, as the Nor'easter women were one point off the minimum with 16 and the UNE men registered 19 points.
UNE's Emily Wasina won the women's 5K event with a 21:19 effort while the Nor'easters' Jacob Hickey toured the 5K course in 16:45 to claim the men's individual crown.
UMaine-Farmington placed third in both races with 83 points in the women's run and 71 in the men's event.
THE RUNDOWN – MEN:
- Freshman Troy Hendricks (Hiram, Maine) led the Monks and placed fourth overall with a 17:52 effort
- Freshman Jacob Huberdeau (Plaistow, N.H.) raced to a fifth-place finish with an 18:01 time
- First-year Michael Brooks (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) was eighth with an 18:32 performance
- Junior Ben Plante (Biddeford, Maine) toured the 5K course in 19:32 and was 13th
- Sophomore Brandon Whitlock (Westbrook, Maine) capped the Monks' top five finishers with an even 20-minute time, good for 18th overall
THE RUNDOWN – WOMEN:
- Senior Sarah Curtin (Strafford, N.H.) paced the Monks and finished fifth overall with a 21:46 time
- Sophomore transfer Lauren Fisher (Hampton Falls, N.H.) placed eighth with a 22:13 effort
- Senior Lauren Lecompte (Lewiston, Maine) raced to an 11th-place finish with a 22:43 performance
- Freshman Emma Allen (Jefferson, Maine) was 13th with a 23:18 time
- First-year Naomi Ingham (Alton, N.H.) rounded out the Monks' top five with a 23:42 time, good for 15th overall
The Monks are back in action next Saturday with an appearance in the UNE Invitational.