The Official Energy Provider of Saint Joseph's College, Dead River Company is a leading energy provider in New England with over 80 years of experience in the propane and heating oil business. Trusted by home and business owners for reliable and timely deliveries and energy saving solutions, Dead River Company is committed to always being there when their customers need them. Dead River Company manages local offices throughout their service footprint in Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Massachusetts. For more information, visit www.deadriver.com
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - #10/11 Saint Joseph's College (21-0, 9-0 GNAC) toppled Johnson & Wales University (4-17, 3-5 GNAC), 85-59, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) women's basketball contest on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
Leading 13-7 with 3:48 left in the first quarter, the Monks rattled off 14 unanswered points as a Kelsi McNamara (West Newbury, Mass.) three-pointer launched the visitors to a 27-9 advantage heading into the second stanza.
The early deficit proved too much to overcome for the Wildcats, as the Monks extended their cushion to 49-26 at the break and went on to claim a game-high 35-point (77-42) lead after senior guard Julia Champagne (Brunswick, Maine) made a free throw with 6:53 left in the fourth frame.
STATS OF THE GAME:
St. Joe's scored 24 points off 18 JWU turnovers and committed just 11 miscues in the victory…The Monks made 10 three-pointers compared to four trifectas made by the Wildcats and held a 17-9 lead in free throws made.
LEADERS – SAINT JOSEPH'S:
- McNamara netted 20 points with five assists, two rebounds, and a pair of steals
- Champagne also scored 20 points with four boards and two assists
- Senior guard Hannah Marks (Waldoboro, Maine) added 19 points, four caroms, and two steals
- Senior forward Emily Benway (Rochester, N.H.) contributed 13 points, eight rebounds (five offensive), and four assists
- Freshman Page Brown (Boothbay, Maine) scored four points in four minutes off the bench
LEADERS – JOHNSON & WALES:
- Freshman Dede Stevenson (Hartford, Conn.) tied a career-high with 30 points and added eight rebounds, two assists, and three steals
- Senior Ally Mishol (Longmeadow, Mass.) registered a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds
Saint Joseph's is now 10-5 all-time versus Johnson & Wales University and has now defeated the Wildcats in five-consecutive meetings dating back to the 2015-16 season. The winning margin is the largest posted by the Monks since SJC defeated JWU by 36 (85-49) on January 21st, 2012.
Saint Joseph's will host Emmanuel College in a battle of unbeaten GNAC teams on Tuesday at 6:00 PM.